A Suggestion for Congress
The main reason for the continued rejection of the attempted reforms of Obamacare are the horrendous-sounding numbers from the Congressional Budget Office. These numbers appear to be similar no matter how watered-down the bill is. It turns out that almost all of the alleged losses of health insurance come from the repeal of the individual mandate. The sequence appears to be as follows:
- The Republicans propose a heath-insurance reform plan.
- The Congressional Budget Office issues a pan report claiming millions of people will lose insurance.
- Average voters (the “people of the land, the common clay of the new West”) hear about the report and figure it's because the Snidely Whiplashes in charge of insurance companies will throw people off insurance plans simply because they're mean.
- They send lots of hysterical phone calls, emails, and letters to Congress.
- The Congresscritters and Senators listen and vote it down.
- The Republican Establishment looks for something else to water down.