Yet another weird SF fan


I'm a mathematician, a libertarian, and a science-fiction fan. Common sense? What's that?

Go to first entry


 

Archives

<< current
 
E-mail address:
jhertzli AT ix DOT netcom DOT com


My Earthlink/Netcom Site

My Tweets

My other blogs
Small Sample Watch
XBM Graphics


The Former Four Horsemen of the Ablogalypse:
Someone who used to be sane (formerly War)
Someone who used to be serious (formerly Plague)
Rally 'round the President (formerly Famine)
Dr. Yes (formerly Death)

Interesting weblogs:
Back Off Government!
Bad Science
Blogblivion
Boing Boing
Debunkers Discussion Forum
Deep Space Bombardment
Depleted Cranium
Dr. Boli’s Celebrated Magazine.
EconLog
Foreign Dispatches
Good Math, Bad Math
Greenie Watch
The Hand Of Munger
Howard Lovy's NanoBot
Hyscience
Liberty's Torch
The Long View
My sister's blog
Neo Warmonger
Next Big Future
Out of Step Jew
Overcoming Bias
The Passing Parade
Peter Watts Newscrawl
Physics Geek
Pictures of Math
Poor Medical Student
Prolifeguy's take
The Raving Theist
RealityCarnival
Respectful Insolence
Sedenion
Seriously Science
Shtetl-Optimized
Slate Star Codex
The Speculist
The Technoptimist
TJIC
Tools of Renewal
XBM Graphics
Zoe Brain

Other interesting web sites:
Aspies For Freedom
Crank Dot Net
Day By Day
Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO Homepage
Fourmilab
Jewish Pro-Life Foundation
Libertarians for Life
The Mad Revisionist
Piled Higher and Deeper
Science, Pseudoscience, and Irrationalism
Sustainability of Human Progress


























Yet another weird SF fan
 

Friday, August 24, 2012

File Format for 3D Printing?

If 3D printing is the Wave of the Future, is there an equivalent of PostScript or SVG for 3D?

I was reminded of this by reading of one of the problems of today's 3D printing:

It's interesting to examine the texture up close. It's possible to see the facets from the original Blender model (the round cylindrical parts are actually high-number polygons, so they are faceted when you examine them up close). In other places, the scan lines from the printing process are more obvious -- as in the top of the wheel quad in Figure 16.

I think we'll need Bézier surfaces to achieve atomic smoothness.

Addendum: After a little more reading, I found it's called OpenSCAD.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark Alger said...

Yes. Or at least, there's one of possibly many. The one I'm aware of is .stl, or Stereolitho. It can, I hear, be a bit finicky. from the 3DS Max User Guide:

To create a physical model, an STL file must have a complete and closed surface. Using STL Check to test your geometry before you export it can save time and money when the file is used to create the physical model.

How that would apply to Blender, I do not know. (STL check is a plugin utility for Max.)

I should also think that a modern 3D printing app -- whatever they use -- should be able to consume and .obj file or even a .3ds file.

M

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Mark Alger said...

Hmm. I had not heard of OpenSCAD. S-Cad, yes. But Open... no. It looks interesting, particularly the ability to do modeling parametrically. But I have been spoiled by the UIs of the high end programs and find myself leery of the tag line "the programmer's CAD tool."

If I wanted to write program code, I'd be a programmer. I'm a designer and want tools that enhance that ability.

OTOH, that parametric thing... Definitely intriguing.

M

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Profiles
My Blogger Profile
eXTReMe Tracker X-treme Tracker


The Atom Feed This page is powered by Blogger.