Yet another weird SF fan


I'm a mathematician, a libertarian, and a science-fiction fan. Common sense? What's that?

Go to first entry


 

Archives

<< current
 
E-mail address:
jhertzli AT ix DOT netcom DOT com


My Earthlink/Netcom Site

My Tweets

My other blogs
Small Sample Watch
XBM Graphics


The Former Four Horsemen of the Ablogalypse:
Someone who used to be sane (formerly War)
Someone who used to be serious (formerly Plague)
Rally 'round the President (formerly Famine)
Dr. Yes (formerly Death)

Interesting weblogs:
Back Off Government!
Bad Science
Blogblivion
Boing Boing
Debunkers Discussion Forum
Deep Space Bombardment
Depleted Cranium
Dr. Boli’s Celebrated Magazine.
EconLog
Foreign Dispatches
Good Math, Bad Math
Greenie Watch
The Hand Of Munger
Howard Lovy's NanoBot
Hyscience
Liberty's Torch
The Long View
My sister's blog
Neo Warmonger
Next Big Future
Out of Step Jew
Overcoming Bias
The Passing Parade
Peter Watts Newscrawl
Physics Geek
Pictures of Math
Poor Medical Student
Prolifeguy's take
The Raving Theist
RealityCarnival
Respectful Insolence
Sedenion
Seriously Science
Shtetl-Optimized
Slate Star Codex
The Speculist
The Technoptimist
TJIC
Tools of Renewal
XBM Graphics
Zoe Brain

Other interesting web sites:
Aspies For Freedom
Crank Dot Net
Day By Day
Dihydrogen Monoxide - DHMO Homepage
Fourmilab
Jewish Pro-Life Foundation
Libertarians for Life
The Mad Revisionist
Piled Higher and Deeper
Science, Pseudoscience, and Irrationalism
Sustainability of Human Progress


























Yet another weird SF fan
 

Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Reason to Be Suspicious of Anti-Immigration Activists

I noticed the following on an anti-immigration blog:

The international corporate class and the social work Establishment that drools at the thought of a huge new clientele do not like Anglo-Saxon-Celts. I know that's not the sort of thing you're supposed to say out loud, but it's true.
“Anglo-Saxon-Celts”? Those of us with names like Hertzlinger (or Giuliani or even Rumsfeld) would find that alarming … if we didn't outnumber the Anglo-Saxon-Celts (how did Celts get into this?) by now.

An odd note: The same blog also covers psychic phenomena. It's almost like reading an extended John Campbell editorial.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick Darby said...

I am the author of the blog, Reflecting Light, from which you have quoted.

Whenever immigration is the subject, someone is sure to take you to task, since feelings run so high. As a matter of self-defense, I might have written in a more legalistic or academic way and tried to cover every possible objection. But I am neither a lawyer nor an academic, and my style tends to be colorful rather than that of a debater.

The expression "Anglo-Saxon-Celts" was just a shorthand way of speaking of the ethnic derivation of most of the U.S. population throughout most of its history. If I wanted to get all scholarly about it, I could have differentiated among the descendants of Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Friesians, and Celts; acknowledged that there have long been Americans of German, Italian, African, Japanese, Chinese, etc., etc. ancestry. I just didn't care to bore my readers with a tedious and, I assumed, unnecessary digression.

The point is still the same: the power structure that is gung-ho for open borders prefers immigrants who lack Americans' history of self-reliance and willingness to resist authority from time to time. It wants, for its own purposes, to throw open the door to huge numbers of poor, uneducated peasants with no tradition of republican government, who can be easily manipulated just as corrupt urban regimes like the Boss Tweed organization commanded the votes of newly arrived immigrants in the 19th century. In addition, the hope is that millions of welfare-dependent hispanic immigrants will provide a shot in the arm for the further growth of government bureaucracy, one of the Democrats' primary voting blocs.

I used to read John Campbell's Astounding (later Analog) Science Fiction when I was a teenager. I'd be curious to know how you think my blog is similar. (Maybe Campbell is an influence I never realized!)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by Reflecting Light.

4:15 PM  
Blogger David said...

There are no anti-immigration activists, there are no anti-immigration blogs, there are no anti-immigration people. That's like calling traditional morality "anti-sex".

I love Cambpell's column about Kent State, but I can't find it.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Profiles
My Blogger Profile
eXTReMe Tracker X-treme Tracker


The Atom Feed This page is powered by Blogger.